Posted Friday, 4 December 2015, 03:00 PM
An announcement was made yesterday that Tasmania has reached the bi lateral agreement with the Commonwealth Government on the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) roll out.
The roll out will be state wide and the age cohort approach from the NDIS trial will continue and expand out from the 15–24 year age group currently in the scheme:
The roll out will be as follows:
- 1 July 2016 – NDIS will be available to young people aged 12–14
- 1 January 2017 – the NDIS will be available to adults aged 25–28
- 1 July 2017 – the NDIS will be available to children age 4–11
- 1 January 2018 – the NDIS will be available to adults aged 29–34
- 1 July 2018 – the NDIS will be available to children 0–3 and adults aged 35–49
- 1 January 2019 – all remaining adults 50–60 years will be transitioned to the NDIS
This is exciting for people with disabilities and their families as it will increase the choice and control over the supports they receive.
For our organisation the transition to the NDIS will open up many opportunities and also create some challenges for us over the next 3 year period.
The NDIS rollout will be a topic of conversation at our next general meeting on the 16 December 2015.